(Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner/Sexual Assault Response Team)
SANE/SART (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner/Sexual Assault Response Team) was established to provide an immediate, compassionate, multi-disciplinary team response to victims of sexual assault. This program provides 24-hour on-call services for all sexual assault or abuse victims.
Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) is composed of dedicated representatives from law enforcement, social services, advocates (YWCA/Battered Women's Task Force/CASA), nurse examiners, and the office of the District Attorney. The benefits of the team approach are:
- Helps prevent victim from reporting the account of sexual assault repeatedly
- Helps prevent confusion among professionals trying to meet the needs of the rape victim as he/she progresses through the health care and criminal justice system
- Allows team interviews
- Provides continuity of care
- Enables increased forensic evidence collection, including colposcopic exam
- Allows quiet environment and private exam room
Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) is a registered nurse, RN, who has advanced education in forensic examination of sexual assault victims. Stormont-Vail Emergency Department currently has nine Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners. The role of the nurse examiner is:
- 24-hour availability
- Obtains a history
- Performs health assessment
- Performs detailed genital exam
- Collects forensic evidence
- Documents findings
- Refers victims for immediate and follow-up medical care and follow-up counseling
- Courtroom testimony
State-of-the art equipment such as colposcopic photography and ultraviolet light source enhances the injury documentation and evidence opportunity. Evidence collected is referred to law enforcement, following a strict chain of custody protocol. The collected evidence assists law enforcement with their investigation and is then referred to the District Attorney.
Stormont-Vail HealthCare is the only Topeka health care facility to offer this service to the community and surrounding areas.
For more information, please call (785) 354-6107.
Click here to return to our Directory of Services.