1500 S.W. 10th Ave.
Topeka, KS 66604
The Breastfeeding Center is located on the fourth floor of Stormont Vail.
Walk-in clinic hours are:
10 a.m. to Noon Monday – Friday
5:30 to 6:30 p.m. – 2nd Thursdays
9:30 to 10:30 a.m. – Saturdays
Breastfeeding education before the baby arrives
Stormont Vail recently received a grant to hire a part-time OB Nurse Navigator. Kris Myers, RN, will meet with patients at Lincoln Center OBGYN and M&I clinic to provide education about successful breastfeeding. Patients who meet with Kris will receive packets of breastfeeding resources, advice on setting breastfeeding goals and education on the benefits of breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding support in the hospital
A member of the Breastfeeding Center team will come to your room each day of your hospitalization to provide assessment, education, support and hands-on assistance with breastfeeding. You are encouraged to be involved in your individualized plan of care, and staff appreciates your input so they can better assist you in meeting your breastfeeding goals.
Breastfeeding support after you leave the hospital
On the day you are discharged from the hospital, we will make an appointment for you and your newborn to return to the Breastfeeding Center within one or two days. At this first follow-up appointment in the center, nurses will:
- Perform a head-to-toe assessment of your newborn.
- Evaluate your newborn for jaundice and draw any labs ordered by the physician.
- Perform a before and after feeding weight check to evaluate the effectiveness of a breastfeeding session.
- Provide education and guidance for newborn care, feedings and recommended follow-up.
- Perform a blood pressure check for mothers with history of hypertension.
- Perform incision checks for mothers who have had a c-section or tubal ligation.
- Provide education regarding post-delivery pain management options.
- Communicate any health concerns regarding you and your newborn to your physician(s).
Stormont Vail recognizes that bringing a newborn home can be an overwhelming adventure that extends beyond the first few days. To support moms who are breastfeeding or have questions about their baby’s nutrition, Stormont Vail Breastfeeding Center offers a free walk-in hours six days a week and twice a month in the evening.
During the walk-in hours a member of the Breastfeeding Center team will sit down and talk with each mother one on one and offer:
- An evaluation of the baby’s weight.
- Evidence-based recommendations for feeding plans.
- Performance of newborn labs if ordered by a physician.
- Breast/nipple evaluation.
- Education and support for the entire family.
There is no charge for the Breastfeeding Center services for patients delivering at Stormont Vail. For patients who do not deliver at Stormont Vail, a one-time $30 chart initiation fee will be charged upon the first visit. After-hours appointments are available for a fee. Please call (785) 354-5034.
The Breastfeeding Center also carries a wide selection of breastfeeding supplies that are available for purchase including baby carriers, breast pumps, pump accessories, pump supplies and replacement parts, milk storage bags, nursing bras, nursing covers, nursing pillows, sleep sacks, microwave sterilization bags and much more. Hospital-grade rental pumps are also available.
- Call for dates and times