Flint Hills History

1893

In 1893, Dr. Milo Ward and Jane C. Stormont, the widow of dr. D. W. Stormont, founded the Jane C. Stormont Woman's Hospital and Training School for Nurses. They envisioned a modern hospital where medical care, particularly for women and those unable to pay, would be available.

1913

First City Hospital founded by Dr. W.A. Carr on the corner of Second and Adams. (right)

1967

Geary Community Hosptail opened a new facility at 1102 St. Mary's Road.

first-hospital
Womens-center-group-shot-1024x677

1997

Geary Community Hospital opened the $2.5 Martha K. Hoover Women's Health Center, a birthing facility  with LDRP (Labor, Delivery, Recovery, Post Partum) rooms and gynecological surgery recovery. This allowed for the dramatic expansion of ob/gyn services. The women's health center was made possible by the citizens of Geary County who gave generously to a major capital fund-raiser. (left)

2006

The center core of the facility was remodeled with $7 million in revenue bonds and an additional floor was added to the Medical Arts Building II, which had been completed in 2004.

2009

An addition to the west was built for $34 million through bonds approved by the community. This included medical/surgical inpatient rooms, a surgery center, cafeteria expansion, Auxiliary gift shop and more.

2023

On Jan. 1, 2023, Geary Community Hospital and Rural Health Clinic became Stormont Vail Health – Flint Hills Campus. Robert Kenagy, M.D., President and Chief Executive Officer, explained, “Our intent is that together we will create a healthcare system that delivers high quality care close to home and is financially sustaining. Together we support a regional effort that will not only enhance access and delivery of healthcare, but will strengthen our regional’s economic vitality and quality of life.”