18th Annual BIG HEARTS Golf Tournament
Over 17 years, sponsors, participants and friends helped raise some $2 million for the Children’s Endowment at the Stormont Vail Foundation through the BIG HEARTS for little hearts Golf Tournament. This generosity will help ensure a vibrant source of support for pediatric programs at Stormont Vail Heath for generations to come.
Having reached this milestone, the 2018 tournament will shift its focus to Oncology Services. Join honorary co-chairs Rick and Sue Wienckowski as the Foundation presents its rebranded BIG HEARTS golf tournament on Sept. 17 at the Topeka Country Club. The event’s presenting sponsor is Hospital Assistance Program with Goodell, Stratton, Edmonds and Palmer LLP and Lockton Companies as Title Sponsors.
Sponsorship opportunities are available. Contact Tina Long at 785-354-5995 for more information and download the 2018 Big Hearts Golf Sponsorship Brochure.
Since 1992, the Care Line has helped meet the emergency needs of patients and their families. The Care Line helps Stormont Vail patients and their families with needs that are typically not covered by insurance. It is available to eligible recipients after all other personal, community, and public resources have been exhausted.
Examples of Care Line assistance include: prescriptions, clothing, transportation, temporary lodging, and durable medical equipment.
In 2017, the Care Line provided assistance to 8,411 patients and their families meeting nearly 13,000 needs, including:
- $200 in gas vouchers for an Emporia-area Cancer Center patient on a fixed income needing transportation help to get to daily treatments
- More than $300 in prescription assistance for an eight-year-old uninsured patient needing Tamiful.
- Meal and lodging assistance totaling nearly $500 for parents whose newborn spent three weeks in our Neonatal Intensive Care
The Care Line is funded through grants and private gifts raised through both public and employee campaigns.
- The Friends of the Care Line recognizes donors of $1,000 or more annually in support of the program. (Link to Friends of the Care Line file)
- As part of the 2017 Stormont Vail Health employee campaign, 453 physicians and staff contributed nearly $91,500 to the Care Line.
For more information about the Care Line, or to make a donation, contact the Foundation at (785) 354-6851.
Where Most Needed Fund
Gifts to the Where Most Needed Fund provide the Foundation the flexibility to direct funding to the areas of greatest need. Programs with a limited timeframe or those in need of startup funding often benefit from gifts to the Where Most Needed Fund.
Children’s Endowment Fund
The Children’s Endowment Fund supports important services and programs for pediatric patients at Stormont Vail Health. The fund receives most of its money from the annual HEARTS for little hearts Golf Tournament. Some of the programs that have benefitted from the Children’s Endowment Fund include:
- Level III, 37-bed Neonatal Intensive Care department serving all of northeast Kansas
The Birthplace, where nearly 2,000 babies are born every year
- The Breastfeeding Center for teaching new moms and moms-to-be the benefits of breastfeeding
- 20-bed Pediatric/Adolescent Department
- Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner/Sexual Assault Response Team Program (SANE/SART)
- Child and Adolescent Behavioral Medicine Program at Stormont Vail Behavioral Health Center
Giving a Legacy
The Stormont Vail Foundation invites you to help make a difference in the health of our community by making a donation. Because the Foundation’s operations are underwritten by Stormont Vail Health, 100% of your gift is directed to the fund of your choice.