- Applications will be accepted Feb. 1 through May 8.
- A commitment of at least one shift per week for 8 out of the 11-week summer program is mandatory. The 2020 summer program begins May 26 and ends Aug. 8. Please see below for the steps required for placement.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Genuine interest in being of service to others
- Must be at least 14 years of age.
- Maintain a “C” average during the course of the school year
- Complete the application process and participate in a free health assessment and mandatory orientation/training sessions, as required.
- Permission from a parent or guardian to participate, if under 18 years of age
- Volunteers purchase their own uniforms ($20-$32).
To Apply – Complete These 4 Steps:
Step 1: Submit college volunteer application online and immediately continue with steps 2 and 3.
Step 2: Print the following links and complete the forms. Bring them with you to your interview, along with a copy of your current immunizations.
- The copy of your immunization record should include two (2) measles, mumps, rubella immunizations (MMR) and varicella (chicken pox) immunizations.
- Review and sign the Physical Requirements for Stormont Vail Health Volunteers. Be sure to include parent/guardian consent.
- Fill out and sign the Post Offer Health Assessment. Be sure to include parent/guardian consent.
- Fill out and sign the Tuberculosis Surveillance Questionnaire. Be sure to include parent/guardian consent.
- Review the 2020 summer program opportunities to use to complete the summer placement information sheet.
- Review the uniform requirements and print the volunteer uniform order form. You will be asked to provide your uniform size when you schedule your interview. Bring the completed order form to your interview. If accepted, your uniform will be ready by your first day of volunteering. Cost is $20-$32. (Exact cash or checks are payable to Stormont Vail Health).
Step 3: Schedule a mandatory interview for one of the following dates by calling (785) 354-6095 (Monday through Friday – 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). We encourage you to schedule your interview for the earliest date that you are available. Placements are filled during the interview process so later interview dates will have less placement options.
- Interview Sessions
- April 24: 2-5 p.m.
- April 28: 2-5 p.m.
- May 4: 2-5 p.m.
- May 7: 2-5 p.m.
- Location: All sessions will be held in the Volunteer Services office, North Patient Tower, Basement Level. Follow signs from the hospital’s main entrance. Please allow one hour to complete the interview process.
- BRING A COPY OF CURRENT IMMUNIZATIONS AND COMPLETED FORMS TO THE INTERVIEW.
- A mandatory tuberculin skin test, which requires a small blood sample, will be given at the interview.
- Your photo for your ID badge will be taken at the interview.
- We encourage that a parent/guardian accompany applicant as we may have questions about scheduling, consent forms, etc.
- If age 18 or over, you will complete an additional form at the interview which will ask for your Social Security number and name affiliations for a criminal background check.
- If accepted, volunteer placement will also be provided at the conclusion of the interview. Details about the mandatory orientation will be given at that time.
- Interview Sessions
Step 4: Orientation (mandatory) – Attend one of the following mandatory orientation dates. Information regarding locations will be given at the time of the interview.
- Friday, May 8: 4:30 – 6:45 p.m.
- Thursday, May 21: 4:30 – 6:45 p.m.
Preparing for Your First Day
By the end of May, summer volunteers will receive, by email, their summer schedule and job description of the area(s). Please be sure we have a current email address.
On their first day, volunteers report to the Volunteer Services Department to receive their ID badge, sign final paperwork and get introduced to their volunteer area.