Youth can learn about the health care environment and gain life and work experience in many health care settings. If you are 18, but are enrolled in high school, you can still participate in this program.
- Applications will be accepted July 1 through Jan. 10.
- A commitment of at least one shift per week (or two shifts per month) for a six month commitment is required. Volunteers who submit applications after November 1 make a commitment through May.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Genuine interest in being of service to others
- Must be at least 14 years of age
- Maintain a “C” average during the course of the school year
- Complete the application process and participate in a free health assessment and mandatory orientation/training sessions, as required.
- Permission from a parent or guardian to participate, if under 18 years of age.
- Volunteers purchase their own uniforms ($20).
How to Apply
Step 1: Submit a youth volunteer application online and immediately continue with steps 2 and 3. (If you are over age 18 but still in your last year of High School, complete the adult application, and return to this page to complete the remainder of the steps in the youth section.)
Step 2: Print the following links and complete the forms. Bring them with you to your interview, along with a copy of your current immunizations.
- The copy of your immunization record should include two (2) measles, mumps, rubella immunizations (MMR) and varicella (chicken pox) immunizations.
- Copy of recent grade report (can be last quarter report if current one is unavailable)
- Review the 2019-20 academic school year program opportunities to use to complete the academic school year placement information sheet below. Opportunities will be updated by Sept. 1.
- Academic school year placement information sheet.
- Seasonal Influenza Consent Form. During the flu season (Sept – May), the flu vaccination is required for all volunteers and will be given free of charge at the volunteer health assessment, scheduled when volunteer placement occurs.
- Print the Teacher/School Counselor Reference Form. Complete top portion of the form and give to reference. Upon completion by the teacher or counselor, they will fax the form to Volunteer Services. Fax (785) 354-5812.
- Review the uniform requirements and print the volunteer uniform order form. You will be asked to provide your uniform size when you schedule your interview. Bring the completed order form to your interview. If accepted, your uniform will be ready by your first day of volunteering. Cost is $20. (Exact cash or checks are payable to Stormont Vail Health).
Step 3: Schedule a mandatory interview by calling (785) 354-6095 (Monday through Friday – 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).
- Location: All interviews will be held in the Volunteer Services office, North Patient Tower, Basement Level. Follow signs from the hospital’s main entrance. Please allow 1/2 hour to complete the interview process.
- BRING COPY OF CURRENT IMMUNIZATIONS AND COMPLETED FORMS TO THE INTERVIEW.
- If age 18 or over, complete an additional form at the interview which will ask for your Social Security number and name affiliations for a criminal background check.
- If accepted, volunteer placement will also be provided at the conclusion of the interview. Details about the mandatory orientation and health assessment will be given at that time.
- At the interview, the applicant’s photo will be taken.
Step 4: Attend a mandatory orientation. Information regarding dates and locations will be given at the time of the interview.
Preparing for Your First Day
After the orientation, you will be contacted by a Volunteer Services staff member to set a date for your first day of volunteer service. You will also receive, by email, a copy of your assignment description and information regarding your first day.
On your first day, report to the Volunteers Department to receive your ID badge, sign final paperwork and get introduced to your volunteer area.
Volunteering provides youths with helpful experience, builds employment skills, and is a valuable skill to include on a resume.