Youth can learn about the health care environment and gain life and work experience in many health care settings. If you are 18, but are enrolled in high school, you can still participate in this program.
- Applications (link below) will be accepted.
- A commitment of at least one shift per week or two shifts a month for a 4 month commitment.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Genuine interest in being of service to others
- Must be at least 14 years of age.
- Maintain a “C” average during the course of the school year
- Complete the application process and participate in a free health assessment and mandatory orientation/training sessions, as required.
- Permission from a parent or guardian to participate, if under 18 years of age.
- Volunteers purchase their own uniforms ($20).
To Apply – Complete These 4 Steps:
Step 1: Submit youth volunteer application online and immediately continue with steps 2 and 3.
Step 2: Print the following links and complete the forms. Bring them with you to your interview, along with a copy of your current immunizations.
- The copy of your immunization record should include two (2) measles, mumps, rubella immunizations (MMR) and varicella (chicken pox) immunizations.
- Review and sign the Physical Requirements for Stormont Vail Health Volunteers. Be sure to include parent/guardian consent.
- Fill out and sign the Post Offer Health Assessment. Be sure to include parent/guardian consent.
- Fill out and sign the Tuberculosis Surveillance Questionnaire. Be sure to include parent/guardian consent.
- Copy of recent grade report (can be last quarter report if current one is unavailable)
- Print the Teacher/Counselor Reference Form. Complete top portion of the form and give to reference. Upon completion by the teacher or counselor, they will fax the form to Volunteer Services. (Fax# (785) 354-5812)
- Review the uniform requirements and print the volunteer uniform order form. You will be asked to provide your uniform size when you schedule your interview. Bring the completed order form to your interview. If accepted, your uniform will be ready by your first day of volunteering. Cost is $20. (Exact cash or checks are payable to Stormont Vail Health).
Step 3: Schedule a mandatory interview for one of the following dates by calling (785) 354-6095 (Monday through Friday – 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).
We encourage you to schedule your interview for the earliest date that you are available. Placements are filled during the interview process so later interview dates will have less placement options.
- Location: All sessions will be held in the Volunteer Services office, North Patient Tower, Basement Level. Follow signs from the hospital’s main entrance. Please allow one hour to complete the interview process.
- BRING COPY OF CURRENT IMMUNIZATIONS AND COMPLETED FORMS TO THE INTERVIEW.
- A mandatory tuberculin skin test which requires a small blood sample will be given at the interview.
- Your photo for your ID badge will be taken at the interview.
- We encourage that a parent/guardian accompany applicant as we may have questions about scheduling, consent forms, etc.
- If age 18 or over, you will complete an additional form at the interview which will ask for your Social Security number and name affiliations for a criminal background check.
- If accepted, volunteer placement will also be provided at the conclusion of the interview. Details about the mandatory orientation will be given at that time.
Step 4: Orientation (mandatory) – Attend one of the following mandatory orientation dates. Information regarding locations will be given at the time of the interview.
Preparing for Your First Day
Volunteers will receive, by email, their summer schedule and job description of the area(s). Please be sure we have a current email address.
On your first day, report to the Volunteer Services Department to receive your ID badge, sign final paperwork and get introduced to your volunteer area.
Volunteering provides youths with helpful experience, builds employment skills, and is a valuable skill to include on a resume.