Stormont Vail Health’s Commitment to Nursing Careers
Nursing is the pulse of patient care — especially at Stormont Vail Health. That’s why we are committed to providing an exceptional environment to support nursing professionals at all stages of their careers.
In addition to jobs for registered nurses, our commitment extends to others who provide direct patient care on the nursing spectrum:
- Patient care technicians
Search and Apply for Nursing Jobs
Submit your application online for positions at Stormont Vail Health:
As a health care leader in eastern Kansas, Stormont Vail offers exciting nursing career opportunities in both hospital and clinic settings. As a member of our nursing team in the Patient Care Services department, you’ll also enjoy:
- A competitive compensation/ benefits package
- Career advancement and continuing education opportunities
- Teams that empower you to learn and then lead
- A mentoring environment that fosters appreciation and respect
- Flexible scheduling that allows you to balance the demands of life
We have a little fun, too:
Magnet Recognition Program®
Stormont Vail Health has been recognized a Magnet® organization since 2009. The Magnet Recognition Program® recognizes health care organizations for quality patient care, nursing excellence, and innovations in professional nursing practices.
Developed by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), Magnet® is the leading source of successful nursing practices and strategies worldwide. When nurses work at a Magnet® organization, values such as empowerment, pride, mentoring, nurturing, respect, integrity, and teamwork are demonstrated.
Transformational leadership is a core philosophy of a Magnet® organization. Through the strength of vision, transformational leaders inspire others to work toward common goals. At Stormont Vail, our nursing team includes knowledgeable leaders whose voices are heard from the bedside level on up.
Stormont Vail also has a robust clinical research center that provides nurses with opportunities to make a difference for patients now and in the future.
Patient safety and quality of care are the priorities of professional nurses at Stormont Vail. We have formal processes for nurses to stay current with advancements in patient care, education, and state-of-the-art technologies. This keeps our team on the path of continuous improvement and positive health care outcomes.
We track quality measures and compare them to national and state data. Quality “indicators” are considered the best measures for determining whether the patient is receiving quality care. As a Magnet® organization, we continually monitor patient care and outcomes to ensure we are providing a high standard of care.
Shared Governance provides the structure for nurses to identify and integrate best practices, while enjoying a fulfilling career.
It’s why nurses at Stormont Vail have a voice of influence. They’re patient care providers and organizational leaders. Through our structure of shared governance, they set goals and priorities that impact decisions for nursing practice.
Shared Governance promotes a culture of nurse empowerment, providing bedside nurses with an environment that fosters autonomy and evidence-based decision making. It’s also vital to the recruitment and retention of highly qualified nurses who value developing the next generation of nurses.
Our Shared Governance Councils include:
- Professional Development
- Healthy Work Environment
Investing in Our Nurses: Training & Professional Development
Whether you are a recent graduate or a seasoned nursing veteran, Stormont Vail Health provides staff development based on the principles of Adult Learning Theory, as well as Patricia Benner’s Model of Novice to Expert. The model uses adult learning principles to build experience, competency, practice and structure.
Professional development opportunities are available for Stormont Vail Health nurses in multiple ways:
- Continuing and clinical education, both on site and online
- Education reimbursement
- Grants to attend professional and educational conferences and seminars
- Support to pursue professional certification
- Professional contribution ladders for all levels of nurses
- Onsite health sciences library with skilled staff and access to academic and medical journals and databases
We also take the opportunity to support and encourage our patient care technicians and medical assistants to continue with their education and consider professional nursing as a career. Many nursing students start their nursing careers in these positions at Stormont Vail Health.
Awards & Recognition
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Blue Distinction (Cardiac, Maternity, Hip and Knees)
- 2016 CareChex Quality Awards for Medical Excellence & Quality
- Leadership quality award from the Kansas Health Collaborative for patient safety
- Recognized by Consumer Reports as one of the best hospitals in Kansas for surgery care. The ratings compared Stormont Vail to 2,463 hospitals in the U.S.
Accreditations, Designations & Certifications
- Full accreditation by The Joint Commission
- Magnet® Designation by the American College of Nurses Credentialing Center since 2009
- American College of Surgeons verification as a Level II Trauma Center. Stormont Vail is the only Level II trauma center in northeast Kansas.
- The Joint Commission award for Total Joint Center Disease-Specific Care for hip and knee replacement
- The Stormont Vail Adult Cardiac Surgery program was awarded the highest designation of three stars for its cardiac surgical program by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- Accreditation with Commendation from the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons as a Comprehensive Cancer Program
- Accreditation from the American College of Radiology for Radiation Therapy services
- Primary Stroke Center Accreditation by The Joint Commission
- Chest Pain Certified by The Joint Commission
- Intersocietal Accreditation Commission accreditation in Echocardiography and Vascular Testing
- AABB Accreditation for Transfusion Services
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Blue Distinction® Center+ for Maternity Care
- U.S. News & World Report 2018-19 Best Regional Hospital – ranked second in Kansas and achieved the highest rating possible in pulmonology, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), heart failure, hip replacement and knee replacement.
- AHA/ASA Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Achievement Award with Target: StrokeSM Honor Roll Elite Plus
- AHA/ASA Get With the Guidelines®-Heart Failure Gold Plus with Target: Heart Failure Honor RollSM Quality Achievement Award
- American Heart Association Mission: Lifeline® STEMI Gold Receiving Center
- American Heart Association Mission: Lifeline® NSTEMI – Gold Recognition
- American College of Cardiology’s NCDR ACTION Registry® Platinum Performance Achievement Award
- Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) re-accreditation for Cotton O’Neil Heart Center’s ultrasound laboratory
- Sodexo recognition as a Best Practice hospital for malnutrition awareness
- U.S. News & World Report 2017-18 Best Regional Hospital – ranked second in Kansas and achieved the highest rating possible in five procedures or conditions, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), colon cancer surgery, heart bypass surgery, heart failure and knee replacement surgery
- Urgent Care Association of America’s Accredited Urgent Care designation for Cotton O’Neil Express Care Urish, Express Care Croco and Express Care North
- Topeka Capital-Journal’s Best of Topeka – Best Medical Facility; Cotton O’Neil Cancer Center second runner up