The Stormont Vail Health PGY2 Pharmacy Residency Program contributes to the development of clinical pharmacists in specialized areas of practice by building on Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) education and PGY1 pharmacy residency programs. PGY2 provides residents with opportunities to function independently as practitioners, conceptualizing and integrating accumulated experience and knowledge and incorporating both the provision of patient care and other advanced practice settings. Completion of an accredited PGY2 Pharmacy Residency Program prepares residents for advanced patient care, academic, or other specialized positions, along with board certification, if available.
- Orientation (4 weeks)
- Medical Intensive Care (4 weeks)
- Surgical Intensive Care (6 weeks)
- Pediatric Intensive Care (4 weeks)
- Emergency Medicine I (6 weeks)
- Emergency Medicine II (4 weeks)
- Emergency Medicine III (4 weeks)
- Advanced Independent Practice (4 weeks)
- Transitions EMED to Critical Care(4 weeks)
Required Longitudinal Experiences
- Leadership & Professional Growth
- Medication Safety Project
- Research project
- Safe Medication Practice
- Infectious Diseases/ Antibiotic Stewardship
- Medical Intensive Care II
- Surgical Intensive Care II
- Emergency Medicine
- Every other weekend
- One major holiday per year
The resident will receive health insurance, sick leave, paid vacation, American Society of Health System Pharmacists membership and professional conference reimbursement.
- Doctor of Pharmacy Degree or equivalent
- Eligibility for Kansas Board of Pharmacy licensure exam
- Completion of ASHP accredited or candidate status PGY1 residency program
- Letter of intent
- Academic transcript
- Curriculum vitae
- Three letters of recommendation (PGY1 RPD letter highly encouraged)
Clinical Pharmacy Services
The Stormont Vail Clinical Pharmacy team provides comprehensive pharmaceutical care to patients through optimizing medication therapy and promoting health, wellness and disease state prevention.
The Stormont Vail Clinical Pharmacy team upholds the American College of Clinical Pharmacy philosophy of pharmaceutical care: blending caring orientation with specialized therapeutic knowledge, experience and judgement for the purpose of ensuring optimal patient outcomes. Our team also contributes to the generation of new knowledge that advances health and quality of life.
Pharmacy Residency Director
Brooke Bitner, Pharm.D., BCPS
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist Emergency Medicine and Trauma
Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor – University of Kansas School of Pharmacy
Pharmacy Residency Coordinator
Laura Carson, Pharm.D., BCCCP
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist Emergency Medicine and Trauma
How to apply
Residency name: Stormont Vail Health
Residency type: PGY2 Emergency Medicine
National Matching Service (NMS): 762469
American Society of Helath-Systems Pharmacists (ASHP): 62009
Life at Stormont Vail Health
Stormont Vail Health has various multidisciplinary rounds including MICU, S-MICU, PICU, NICU, and psychiatry (pediatrics, adults, and geriatrics). Stormont Vail Health also has 24/7 ED and Trauma decentralized pharmacy coverage. Stormont Vail Health is affiliated with numerous physician clinics and rural health systems throughout northeast Kansas.
Stormont Vail Health works to provide the best possible experience for patients, family, and team members. We believe that every story, every interaction, every employee, every patient, and every day matters. With a commitment to innovation, community health, family-oriented service, and state-of-the-art care, we are an award-winning medical center with an excellent reputation.
We support employees with a friendly atmosphere, a collaborative culture, professional development opportunities, work-life balance, and more.
And we also have a little fun, too:
Considering a Relocation: Life in Eastern Kansas
For every chapter of your life — from starting your career and family to growing professionally — our region has a lot to offer.
We are a community that enjoys a quality of life rarely surpassed, with affordable living, a variety of cultural opportunities, outdoor adventures and historical sites. There are vibrant towns, quality schools, fun festivals, and celebrations held all through the year, providing entertainment and leisure for the entire family.
While your employment with Stormont Vail Health will bring you into our system’s own tightly-knit and friendly community and culture, you’ll also enjoy personal interaction and close contact with the populations that we serve. You’ll find that your neighbors and peers are some of the friendliest, hardest-working people found anywhere.
We are an Award-Winning Health Care Network
Accreditations, Designations & Certifications
- Full accreditation by The Joint Commission
- Magnet® Designation by the American College of Nurses Credentialing Center since 2009
- American College of Surgeons verification as a Level II Trauma Center. Stormont Vail is the only Level II Trauma Center in northeast Kansas.
- The Joint Commission award for Total Joint Center Disease-Specific Care for hip and knee replacement
- The Stormont Vail Adult Cardiac Surgery program was awarded the highest designation of three stars for its cardiac surgical program by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
- Accreditation with Commendation from the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons as a Comprehensive Cancer Program
- Accreditation from the American College of Radiology for Radiation Therapy services
- Advanced Primary Stroke Center Accreditation by The Joint Commission
- Chest Pain Certified by The Joint Commission
- Intersocietal Accreditation Commission accreditation in Echocardiography and Vascular Testing
- AABB Accreditation for Transfusion Services
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine accreditation for obstetric ultrasound in all phases of pregnancy
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Blue Distinction® Center for Cardiac Care
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Blue Distinction® Center+ for Maternity Care
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas Blue Distinction® Center for Spine Surgery
- U.S. News & World Report 2017-18 Best Regional Hospital – ranked second in Kansas and achieved the highest rating possible in five procedures or conditions, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), colon cancer surgery, heart bypass surgery, heart failure, and knee replacement surgery
- AHA/ASA Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Achievement Award with Target: StrokeSM Honor Roll Elite Plus
- AHA/ASA Get With the Guidelines®-Heart Failure Gold Plus with Target: Heart Failure Honor RollSM Quality Achievement Award
- American Heart Association Mission: Lifeline® STEMI Gold Receiving Center
- American Heart Association Mission: Lifeline® NSTEMI – Silver Recognition
- American College of Cardiology’s NCDR ACTION Registry® Platinum Performance Achievement Award
- Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) re-accreditation for Cotton O’Neil Heart Center’s ultrasound laboratory
- Sodexo recognition as a Best Practice hospital for malnutrition awareness
- U.S. News & World Report 2017-18 Best Regional Hospital – ranked second in Kansas and achieved the highest rating possible in five procedures or conditions, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), colon cancer surgery, heart bypass surgery, heart failure and knee replacement surgery
- Urgent Care Association of America’s Accredited Urgent Care designation for Cotton O’Neil Express Care Urish, Express Care Croco and Express Care North
- Topeka Capital-Journal’s Best of Topeka – Best Medical Facility; Cotton O’Neil Cancer Center second runner up