Mayo Clinic Frequently Asked Questions
Stormont Vail Health and Mayo Clinic
Frequently Asked Questions
Stormont Vail Health became a member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network in April 2014.
Q: What is the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
A: The Mayo Clinic Care Network is a unique collaboration that connects Stormont Vail Health physicians with Mayo Clinic specialists and Mayo Clinic resources. Stormont Vail Health health care providers will use electronic communication tools to access the latest Mayo Clinic knowledge and expertise.
Q. Why did Mayo Clinic create the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
Collaborating with other medical providers to provide the best possible care for patients has always been part of Mayo Clinic’s culture. The Mayo Clinic Care Network is intended to help Mayo and community care organizations work closer together — in new ways — to enhance the lives of patients.
Q: Why did Mayo Clinic choose Stormont Vail Health to participate in the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
A: Stormont Vail Health was selected to join the Mayo Clinic Care Network because Stormont Vail Health shares a common philosophy, commitment and mission to improve the delivery of health care through high-quality, data-driven, evidence-based medical care and treatment. In addition, Stormont Vail Health passed Mayo Clinic’s rigorous review process based on quality, service and operational criteria.
Q: Why is Stormont Vail Health collaborating with Mayo Clinic?
A: Stormont Vail Health has made tremendous progress in its approach to care based on the latest medical knowledge and best practices from leaders in health care. This will assist providers as they continually seek out the latest research and treatment recommendations from the experts at Mayo Clinic.
Q: What does this formal collaboration mean for patients?
A: Stormont Vail Health physicians will have access to the latest Mayo Clinic expertise to use when treating patients. These resources include:
- AskMayoExpert, a state-of-the-art online medical reference tool created by Mayo Clinic. It offers Mayo-vetted knowledge in disease management, clinical care guidelines, treatment recommendations and educational materials available to physicians at the point of care.
- eConsults that serve to connect Stormont Vail Health physicians with Mayo Clinic experts when Stormont Vail physicians want additional input regarding a patient’s care.
Q: Does this mean that Stormont Vail Health could be purchased by Mayo Clinic?
A: This agreement is not an acquisition or merger. Mayo Clinic Care Network members like Stormont Vail Health remain independent, community-owned health care providers.
Q: Why is Stormont Vail Health making all of these announcements lately?
A: Stormont Vail Health recognizes that if we are to achieve our vision of being a recognized leader in quality and the patient experience, we have a responsibility to take the lead in fundamentally transforming health care in Kansas. In support of this, Stormont Vail Health is committed to seeking new ways to:
- Partner with quality care providers to create greater alignment around improved quality and patient experience.
- Jointly work with providers to develop clinical guidelines to ensure the highest quality of care for patients who need to be transferred to different levels of care.
- Ensure that care is always delivered in the best quality and most cost-advantageous clinical setting as close to the patient’s home as possible.
Q: Will this agreement mean patients will automatically be referred to Mayo Clinic?
A: No, there is no obligation for referrals to Mayo Clinic. The primary goal of Stormont Vail Health and Mayo Clinic through the Mayo Clinic Care Network is to help patients gain the benefits of Mayo Clinic expertise while continuing to receive their care as close to home as possible, ensuring they travel outside the region for care only when necessary.