1500 S.W. 10th Ave.
Topeka, KS 66604
Kent E. Palmberg, M.D., Medical Student Scholarship
The Kent E. Palmberg, M.D., Medical Student Scholarship was established on July 23, 2016, in honor and celebration of the 38 years of leadership provided by Kent Palmberg, M.D., as the chief medical officer at Stormont Vail Health and the 14th physician to join the Cotton O'Neil Medical Group. Dr. Palmberg was instrumental in negotiating the joining of the Cotton O'Neil medical group with Stormont Vail and in recruiting more than 350 physicians to Stormont Vail to serve the needs of patients in the region.
The scholarship is funded by the Kent E. Palmberg, MD Medical Student Scholarship Endowment Fund at the Stormont Vail Foundation. The annual scholarship award is $10,000. The annual application deadline is July 1. The winner will be announced no later than Sept. 1 each year.
The Kent E. Palmberg, MD Medical Student Scholarship is available to a third-year medical student attending the University of Kansas Medical School.
Priority will be given to current medical students who meet some, or all, of the following criteria:
- A medical student who is a relative of a past or present Stormont Vail Health or Cotton O'Neil employee.
- A medical school student focusing on Primary Care.
- A medical school student expressing interest in joining Stormont Vail and practicing in the geographic region served by Stormont Vail.
- A graduate of a Kansas high school.
Robert "Dean" Smith Endowed Technical Training Scholarship
The Robert "Dean" Smith Endowed Technical Training Scholarship was established October 2016 in memory of Dean Smith, director of Design and Construction at Stormont Vail Health. Dean was instrumental in the construction projects at Stormont Vail including the Kanza Park Building which was under construction at the time of his death. Dean was a master plumber with a master mechanical license and held the technical trades in high esteem as important in the success of any project.
- The scholarship will be awarded to a student who has successfully completed the first semester of technical training at an accredited school located in Kansas.
- The scholarship will be awarded to a student enrolled in technical trades including plumbing, drafting and design, construction, and advanced manufacturing.
- Priority will be given to students who are relatives of a Stormont Vail Health employee.
The minimum amount to be awarded will be $500 beginning in December 2017.