1500 S.W. 10th Ave.
Topeka, KS 66604-1353
Youth Academic School Year Program
- Applications (link below) will be accepted July 1 through Jan. 10.
- A commitment of at least one shift per week for a six month commitment is required. Volunteers who submit applications after November 1 make a commitment through May.
- Genuine interest in being of service to others
- Must be at least 14 years of age
- Maintain a “C” average during the course of the school year
- Complete the application process and participate in a free health assessment and mandatory orientation/training sessions, as required.
- Permission from a parent or guardian to participate, if under 18 years of age
- Volunteers purchase their own uniforms ($20).
TO APPLY – Complete these 4 steps:
Step 1: Submit youth volunteer application online and immediately continue with steps 2 and 3. (If you are over age 18 but still in your last year of High School, complete the adult application and return to this page to complete the remainder of the steps in the youth section.)
Step 2: Print the following links and complete the forms. Bring them with you to your interview, along with a copy of your current immunizations.
- The copy of your immunization record should include two (2) measles, mumps, rubella immunizations (MMR) and varicella (chicken pox) immunizations.
- Copy of recent grade report (can be last quarter report if current one is unavailable)
- Review the 2017-18 academic school year program opportunities to use to complete the academic school year placement information sheet below. Opportunities will be updated by Sept. 1.
- Academic school year placement information sheet
- Seasonal Influenza Consent Form During the flu season only (Sept – May), the flu vaccination is required for all volunteers and will be given free of charge at the volunteer health assessment, scheduled when volunteer placement occurs.
- Print the Teacher/Guidance Counselor Reference Form. Complete top portion of the form and give to reference. Upon completion by the teacher or counselor, they will fax the form to Volunteers. (Fax# (785) 354-5812)
- Review Uniform Requirements and print the Uniform Order Form. You will be asked to provide your uniform size when you schedule your interview. Bring the completed order form to your interview. If accepted, your uniform will be ready by your first day of volunteering. Cost is $20. (Exact cash or checks are payable to Stormont Vail Health).
Step 3: Schedule a mandatory interview by calling (785) 354-6095 (Monday through Friday – 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).
- Location: All interviews will be held in the Volunteers office, North Patient Tower, Basement Level. Follow signs from the hospital’s main entrance. Please allow 1/2 hour to complete the interview process.
- BRING COPY OF CURRENT IMMUNIZATIONS AND COMPLETED FORMS TO THE INTERVIEW.
- If age 18 or over, complete an additional form at the interview which will ask for your Social Security number and name affiliations for a criminal background check.
- If accepted, volunteer placement will also be provided at the conclusion of the interview. Details about the mandatory orientation and health assessment will be given at that time.
Step 4: Attend a mandatory orientation. Information regarding dates and locations will be given at the time of the interview.
Preparing for First Day
After the orientation, you will be contacted by a Volunteers staff member to set a date for your first day of volunteer service. You will also receive, by email, a copy of your assignment description and information regarding your first day.
On their first day, volunteers report to the Volunteers Department to receive their ID badge, sign final paperwork and get introduced to their volunteer area.