COVID-19 Update (Nov 16, 2021)
Dear Community Partners,
We are aware there are many connections between the food we eat and our health. That’s why it is so important that healthy foods are accessible and available across the community. Food insecurity is one of the areas our care team monitors with our patients, and if we find a patient doesn’t have access to food, we help connect them to a resource in the community.
Patient Dawn Waugh recently shared her story about her need to have access to healthier food choices.
Harvesters created a video with Dawn and Karla Hedquist, our Director of Community Health Engagement, that informs the community about the Stormont Vail Health Prescriptive Pantry. The pantry is located at the Cotton O’Neil Diabetes and Endocrinology Center in partnership with Harvesters. The Stormont Vail Foundation secured funding from Advisors Excel which allows the clinic to purchase healthy food boxes for the pantry from Harvesters. This is a wonderful example of a community partnership taking care of its members.
Here are today’s updates:
- Welcome to Dr. Deepti V Manian
- Walk with a Doc – Dr. Aileen McCarthy – This Saturday
- COVID-19 Scorecard (English and Spanish)
- COVID-19 Vaccines Update
Welcome to Dr. Deepti V Manian
Stormont Vail Health is proud to announce that Deepti V Manian, M.D., is joining our team to practice as an allergist/immunologist. Dr. Manian is excited to educate her patients on what can make them happier and healthier. She is a big advocate of listening and taking the time that each patient needs to form a treatment plan. “I want to empower my patients to manage their condition, and really believe in their treatment,” she says.
Dr. Manian got her medical degree in India, completed her residency in New York, and spent time at Mayo in Minnesota before moving to Kansas. When Dr. Manian is not at work, you’ll find her spending time outside in the garden. Please join us in welcoming Dr. Deepti V Manian to the Stormont Vail team!
Walk with a Doc – Dr. Aileen McCarthy – This Saturday
We are hosting our third “Walk with a Doc” from 9-10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 20, 2021. The walk will start at the east side of Lee Arena on the Washburn campus. Dr. Aileen McCarthy, Internal Medicine/Palliative Medicine, will lead this free community event after providing some brief health information.
Facemasks are required, social distancing is encouraged and participants must be vaccinated. Stormont Vail is hosting a Walk with a Doc every month at Washburn. Mark your calendar: the next walk will be Dec. 4, 2021 with Dr. Hartej Sethi, neurologist.
Here’s a look at today’s COVID-19 scorecard:
- We have 22 inpatients who are COVID-19 positive. The percentage of COVID-19 hospitalized patients who are unvaccinated over the past 30 days is 80%. Vaccinated is defined as fully vaccinated individuals for greater than 14 days since the last immunization.
- From the previous day – COVID-19 inpatient discharges: 6. Deaths: 0.
- We have 45 COVID-19 positive patients in the outpatient Enhanced Primary Care program.
- The percentage of patients testing positive for COVID-19 at Stormont Vail facilities the past seven days is 11.4% percent. The percent of positive cases who are unvaccinated is 64%.
COVID-19 Vaccines Update
We are appreciative of the community efforts in getting the COVID-19 vaccine distributed – initial and booster vaccines as well as vaccines for the pediatric group ages 5- to 11-year-old. A number of community and governmental organizations have stepped up in this effort as the vaccine is now more widely available.
We also applaud our Pediatric and Pharmacy teams for their hard work in providing Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine to 5- to 11-year-olds. We currently have appointments available for this age group at the Cotton O’Neil Gage Pediatric Clinic, 4100 S.W. 15th Street, near S.W. 15th and Gage and at the Stormont Vail Retail Pharmacy, 2252 S.W. 10th Ave. To date, we have administered 171 vaccines to the 5- to 11-year-old age group.
- At the Pediatrics clinic, we designated specific vaccine clinic days. Appointment times for current patients are still available on Thursday, Nov. 18. Current pediatric patients can schedule through MyChart (where they received scheduling ticket) or call (785) 270-4440.
- To schedule a COVID-19 vaccine appointment at the Stormont Vail Retail Pharmacy (open to anyone in the community):
- Go through your Stormont Vail MyChart
- Use the online scheduling assistant at stormontvail.org/covid19/vaccine
- Call (785) 270-4786.
To date, Stormont Vail has provided 94,927 vaccinations, which includes first, second and booster doses of the vaccine.