COVID-19 Update (07.20.2021)
Dear Community Partners,
As we see increases in COVID-19 infections fueled by the delta variant spreading across Kansas and now in our backyard, we are making preparations to ensure our organization is ready and our team members are supported.
As of today, we have 22 inpatients with COVID-19. The acuity and complexity of patients we are seeing has been very high. The positivity rate of testing across our system is increasing, as well as other indicators showing the virus is spreading – particularly among people who are not vaccinated. Our experience is consistent with COVID-19 increases at other Kansas hospitals. Of great concern is the situation in southwest Missouri, especially the Springfield area, where high infection rates are overwhelming health care organizations and communities.
Projections for our area for this latest increase don’t indicate that we will experience the same high levels we saw last winter in the short term, but infection rates will likely continue to climb over the next few weeks. To take precautions and prepare, we are making adjustments. These include:
- Reconvene Incident Command, which is a three-deep emergency management structure that oversees pandemic operations at Stormont Vail. This group will meet Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays. Operating Committee is the first tier of the Incident Command.
- Offer work opportunities for LPNs and RNs across the Stormont Vail system to sign up for additional shifts in the hospital in Intensive Care, Medical-Surgical and Surgery areas. Caring for increased numbers of COVID-19 inpatients while caring for our usual medical and surgical patients, is taxing our current acute care clinical team.
- Continuation of cohorted patient care areas for COVID-19 patients so they are separated from non-COVID-19 patients.
- Conduct twice a week “mass hiring” events for RNs and PCTs (Patient Care Technicians) to join the Stormont Vail team. These are 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday at Stormont Vail Human Resources, 1615 S.W. 8th. Current openings are listed on org.
- Review policies for visitors, facemasks and personal protection equipment, and other operational guidelines to determine if changes are needed should infection levels continue to rise.
- Distribute CEO communication daily (Monday through Friday) with COVID-19 scorecard.
We monitor a number of factors through a Surge Capacity and Resource Management Plan, which indicates whether we are in green, yellow, orange or red zones. Based on that plan, we have moved from green to yellow and are approaching orange.
While no one wants this scenario, it’s here. The difference this time is there is a safe and effective vaccine – but more people need to get it. It is available for individuals age 12 and older.
Do your part to keep everyone safe.
Here are today’s updates:
COVID-19 Scorecard and Team Member Health
We are witnessing increases in the positivity rate of COVID-19 infections through testing Stormont Vail conducts in our region. That results in increased hospitalizations and patients being cared for through our Enhanced Primary Care program. The program provides additional care and monitoring on an outpatient basis to individuals positive with COVID-19.
Here’s a look at today’s COVID-19 scorecard:
- Today we have 22 inpatients who are COVID-19 positive and 15 patients suspected of having COVID-19.
- We have 35 COVID-19 positive patients in the outpatient Enhanced Primary Care program.
- The percentage of patients testing positive for COVID-19 at Stormont Vail facilities is 12.7%.
- The number of calls to our “Call Before You Go” line increased to 127 calls on Monday from 38 on the previous day. The Call Before You Go line is (785) 354-6000. If a patient is exhibiting COVID-19-like symptoms, please call this number prior to going to our facilities.
- We have administered 86,667 vaccinations, which included first and second doses of the vaccine.
- All Kansans age 12 and older are eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccine.
- COVID-19 vaccines are available through Stormont Vail Retail Pharmacy, 2252 S.W. 10th
- To schedule a COVID-19 vaccine appointment:
- Go through your Stormont Vail MyChart
- Use the online scheduling assistant at stormontvail.org/covid19/vaccine
- Call (785) 270-4786.
- Walk-ins are welcome from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Appointments take approximately 30 minutes, including a 15-minute required observation.
Health Care Workers Vaccination Update
|COVID VACCINATION UPDATE:
|Health Care Workers who have completed series:
|Tested positive after dose #1:
|Tested positive after series completion:
*Information available through 7/17/21. It does not include those who have received vaccine outside of Stormont Vail Health.
Robert Kenagy, MD