We Together: A Communication of Stormont Vail Health (April 05, 2022)
Dear Community Partners,
Here are today’s updates:
- What We Know
- Building for a New Day: Help Us Celebrate at the Cancer Center Wednesday
- Mike Nixon Receives ESGR Patriot Award
- Second Booster Encouraged for Those Who Meet Criteria
- Brad and Brian Share Their Expertise in Manhattan
- Current Status at Stormont Vail Health
What We Know
- The Kansas Department of Health and Environment announced a plan last week to transition the COVID-19 response from emergency pandemic response to endemic normalcy. The KDHE plan addresses intervention, vaccination, treatment, testing, monitoring and communications.
Building for a New Day: Help Us Celebrate at the Cancer Center Wednesday
Join us at the Cotton O’Neil Cancer Center at 9 a.m. Wednesday, April 6, to celebrate the start of renovations and an expansion that will provide the highest quality of care to our community. The event will take place on the north side of the building.
Thanks to our Foundation donors and the last BIG HEARTS Golf Tournament, this project will add four new oncology exam rooms, additional infusion bays, and support our quest to become a Center of Excellence. We would love for you to come throw confetti and celebrate with us!
Mike Nixon Receives ESGR Patriot Award
Congratulations to Mike Nixon, Director of Information Security, who was presented a Department of Defense Patriot Award. ESGR, a Department of Defense program, created the Patriot Award to publicly recognize supervisors who provide support and cooperation to people on their team who are in the National Guard and Reserves.
Mike is a retired active duty United States Air Force Master Sergeant. Mike continues to show his support for the military through his support and dedication to his employees who serve or have served. Here is a snippet of the award nomination about Mike:
“As a leader and mentor, Mike has provided me with the knowledge and tools necessary to better myself in my personal life, Stormont Vail life, and my military life. Countless times Mike has provided guidance when I needed it the most… One of the largest factors for me coming into work every day and giving 110% is Mike Nixon. I will forever be thankful for him taking a chance on a young kid looking for his start in IT Security.”
Way to go, Mike! We are proud to say you’re part of the Stormont Vail team!
Second Booster Encouraged for Those Who Meet Criteria
Getting a second booster of either the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccines is recommended for individuals aged 50 and over or certain immunocompromised individuals. This second booster was recently authorized by the FDA and recommended by the CDC at least four months after receipt of a first booster. The second booster is not a requirement for Stormont Vail Health team members who meet criteria. We anticipate that the COVID-19 vaccine may become an annual shot, but that remains uncertain at this time.
Brad and Brian Share Their Expertise in Manhattan
Brad Chapin, Director Clinical Services, and Brian Avila, Community Engagement Supervisor, were guest speakers at the recent City Clerks and Municipal Finance Officers Association Spring Conference in Manhattan. They presented skills that promote recovery and resilience. Their presentation provided those in attendance with new skills to help navigate challenges more successfully.
We are so fortunate to have Brad and Brian on our team, dedicated improving the health of our community.
Current Status at Stormont Vail Health
- 1 inpatient who is COVID-19 positive.
- 77% of recent COVID-19 admissions are unvaccinated or had last dose/booster more than 6 months ago.
- COVID-19 inpatient discharges (previous week): 13. Deaths: 1.
- 1 COVID-19 positive patients in the outpatient Enhanced Primary Care program.
- 2.3% of people tested for COVID-19 at Stormont Vail facilities the past seven days were positive.
- No team members or providers on contact leave for COVID-19.
- 102,450 vaccinations (included boosters) administered.
- To schedule a COVID-19 vaccine appointment:
- Use online scheduling assistant at stormontvail.org/covid19/vaccine
- Call (785) 270-4786.