Message from Our President & CEO
Stormont Vail Health has long been a leader in providing high-quality health care to Kansans. We take pride in the history on which our system was built. We are an indispensable community asset; locally owned, locally governed. A health system that knows our communities and regions that we serve. We are neighbors helping neighbors, striving to treat everyone who walks through our doors as we would our own family. For us, it is about care and caring.
When it comes to the care we provide, we invest in the best providers, most up-to-date technology and services to ensure you are receiving high-quality, evidence-based care. Our investment is an investment in our communities. This means you are able to receive care close to home, avoid lost work time and unnecessary travel expenses. We also believe that partnerships with our patients, other health care providers, community groups and organizations, is key in delivering the best possible care to our communities.
When it comes to our caring, Stormont Vail is committed to our Small Moments culture. We know that each person who walks through our doors has a story – a past, a present and a future. Every interaction we have, whether big or small, is an opportunity to create a positive impact. We know that by creating these Small Moments, we strengthen our relationship with those we serve, and through these relationships, we are able to improve the health of the community – our mission.
Thank you for choosing us as your partner on your journey to better health. It is a responsibility that we take very seriously.
Robert S. Kenagy, M.D.
Stormont Vail Health
President and Chief Executive Officer
Stormont Vail Health has a deep commitment to the community and to Kansas to provide the best possible health care.
Stormont Vail is an integrated health care system based in Topeka, Kansas, serving a multicounty region in northeast Kansas (Map of Topeka System). It comprises Stormont Vail Hospital, Cotton O’Neil and Cotton O’Neil Pediatrics with more than 250 employed physicians and a variety of ancillary services. Stormont Vail achieved Magnet recognition for excellence in nursing services in 2009.
Stormont Vail Hospital is a 586-bed acute care referral center in northeast Kansas. It is the product of the 1949 merger between Christ’s Hospital (opened in 1884) and the Jane C. Stormont Hospital and Training School for Nurses (1895). Stormont Vail Hospital and Cotton O’Neil joined in 1995 to form Stormont Vail Health. Stormont Vail has the region’s only Level III Neonatal Intensive Care and only verified trauma center.
Mission. Vision. Values.
“Working together to improve the health of our community”
Stormont Vail Health will be a national leader in providing compassionate, high-quality and efficient integrated care through collaboration that results in a healthier community.
Service to Others: We meet or exceed the needs and expectations of those we serve.
Quality: We create an environment of trust, comfort and confidence brought about by a competent, compassionate and caring staff.
Teamwork: We do together what cannot be done alone.
Respect: We honor the dignity and creative potential of each staff member.
Viability: We assure our mission by remaining profitable.
The Ten Tenets
- We understand that each and every one of us is part of the patient experience, regardless of whether we have direct patient contact or where in the Stormont Vail Health system we work.
- We take time to observe our surroundings and look for opportunities to connect with others.
- We acknowledge people in our spaces by smiling and, if appropriate, saying hello.
- We don’t point; we walk our guests to where they want to go whenever possible.
- We always look people in the eye and introduce ourselves by name.
- We don’t use cell phones for personal business while in public work spaces.
- We are sensitive to the conversations we have in places where we can be overheard by others (elevators, waiting areas, etc.)
- We all own patient safety no matter our role in patient care.
- We are devoted to creating an environment that treats all people with compassion, dignity and respect.
- We reject any behaviors that are less than caring, such as backbiting, gossip or insensitivity directed towards or about another human being.
Quality & Safety
We are proud of our Quality and Patient Safety performance, and would like to share this same information with our patients and their family members.
You can view our open positions on our website 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Stormont Vail Health has a mission of “Working together to improve the health of our community.” That includes partnerships with other community and health-related organizations, educational institutions, and more.
Please let us know if you have any suggestions for us to consider as we evaluate our programs and services, as well as information included on this site.