Message from Our President & CEO
Stormont Vail Health has long been a leader in providing high-quality health care to Kansans. We take pride in the history on which our system was built. We are an indispensable community asset; locally owned, locally governed. A health system that knows our communities and regions that we serve. We are neighbors helping neighbors, striving to treat everyone who walks through our doors as we would our own family. For us, it is about care and caring.
When it comes to the care we provide, we invest in the best providers, most up-to-date technology and services to ensure you are receiving high-quality, evidence-based care. Our investment is an investment in our communities. This means you are able to receive care close to home, avoid lost work time and unnecessary travel expenses. We also believe that partnerships with our patients, other health care providers, community groups and organizations, is key in delivering the best possible care to our communities.
When it comes to our caring, Stormont Vail is committed to our Small Moments culture. We know that each person who walks through our doors has a story – a past, a present and a future. Every interaction we have, whether big or small, is an opportunity to create a positive impact. We know that by creating these Small Moments, we strengthen our relationship with those we serve, and through these relationships, we are able to improve the health of the community – our mission.
Thank you for choosing us as your partner on your journey to better health. It is a responsibility that we take very seriously.
Robert S. Kenagy, M.D.
Stormont Vail Health
President and Chief Executive Officer
Stormont Vail Health has a deep commitment to the community and to Kansas to provide the best possible health care.
Stormont Vail is an integrated health care system based in Topeka, Kansas, serving a multicounty region in northeast Kansas (Map of Topeka System). It comprises Stormont Vail Hospital, Cotton O’Neil and Cotton O’Neil Pediatrics with more than 250 employed physicians and a variety of ancillary services. Stormont Vail achieved Magnet recognition for excellence in nursing services in 2009.
Stormont Vail Hospital is a 586-bed acute care referral center in northeast Kansas. It is the product of the 1949 merger between Christ’s Hospital (opened in 1884) and the Jane C. Stormont Hospital and Training School for Nurses (1895). Stormont Vail Hospital and Cotton O’Neil joined in 1995 to form Stormont Vail Health. Stormont Vail has the region’s only Level III Neonatal Intensive Care and only verified trauma center.
Mission. Vision. Values.
“Working together to improve the health of our community”
Stormont Vail Health will be a national leader in providing compassionate, high-quality and efficient integrated care through collaboration that results in a healthier community.
Service to Others: We meet or exceed the needs and expectations of those we serve.
Quality: We create an environment of trust, comfort and confidence brought about by a competent, compassionate and caring staff.
Teamwork: We do together what cannot be done alone.
Respect: We honor the dignity and creative potential of each staff member.
Viability: We assure our mission by remaining profitable.
Together we create a health system that is the top choice for both health care and employment in our region.
- Team Member Experience: Foster a culture and workplace that supports the physical, emotional, and professional health of our team members.
- Consumer Experience: Be consumers’ first choice for health care services in our region, optimizing access, coordination, and navigation.
Together we hold ourselves accountable to achieving high standards in safety and quality, and improving the health of our community. We will accomplish these goals in a way that keeps our organization financially healthy far into the future.
- Quality and Patient Safety: Implement initiatives to reduce the risk of adverse events for patients or team members.
- Population Health Management: Improve the health of patients attributed to our system through systematic improvements.
- Performance Management: Reinforce performance management disciplines that reduce variation and lead to positive operational outcomes.
Together we look to the future, and will expand the services that we offer to meet the health needs of Kansans.
- Regional Expansion: Further develop service offerings in key submarkets and regional areas.
- Service Line Development: Invest strategically in key service lines to develop and strengthen our market position.
- Telemedicine: Improve access to our health system by developing virtual health care offerings.
- Facility Development: Develop the infrastructure on our main campus and in the region to support our footprint.
Together we invest our time and resources in our community. We partner with like-minded organizations to advance our mission of working together to improve the health of our community.
- Food Security: Make healthy foods the easy choice.
- Health Equity: Ensure everyone is equally equipped to improve their health.
- Education: Eliminate barriers to understanding how to live healthy.
- Economic Vitality: Strengthen our workforce and our community.
- Together we treat every patient, visitor, and team member with compassion and dignity.
- Together we are aware of our surroundings and will purposefully connect by guiding others to their destination, making eye contact and greeting everyone with a smile.
- Together we own patient safety and the patient experience. We provide safe, high-quality care with a kind and generous spirit.
- Together we are sensitive to privacy and confidentiality in our conversations and use of technology.
- Together we honor our heritage, embrace diversity, and work every day to improve the health of our community.
Quality & Safety
We are proud of our Quality and Patient Safety performance, and would like to share this same information with our patients and their family members.
You can view our open positions on our website 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Stormont Vail Health has a mission of “Working together to improve the health of our community.” That includes partnerships with other community and health-related organizations, educational institutions, and more.
Please let us know if you have any suggestions for us to consider as we evaluate our programs and services, as well as information included on this site.