Youth Volunteer Program
Ages 14 to 17
Stormont Vail has a volunteer program for youth students ages 14 and older. Students can learn about the health care environment and gain life and work experience in many health care settings.
Youth Volunteer Application
- Applications will be accepted year round.
- A commitment of at least one shift per week (or 2 shifts per month) for a 4-month commitment is required.
- Complete the application process and participate in a free health assessment and Mandatory Orientation/training sessions, as required.
- All healthcare workers (e.g. employees, medical staff, providers, volunteers, contractors,
- Vendors and students) will be required to submit proof of Covid-19 vaccination to Employee
- Health. Proof of vaccination is defined as having completed a full Covid-19 vaccination series as
- Defined by the CDC (e.g. 2 dose series for Pfizer or Moderna, 1 dose for Johnson & Johnson’s
- Janssen and any associated booster shots required for full vaccination) and provide proof of
- Completion of the vaccine(s) to Stormont Vail Employee Health or designee.
- Volunteers must purchase their own uniform top through Volunteer Services. Uniforms may be purchased at Orientation or First day of Volunteering. (Cash or Checks are payable to Stormont Vail Health)
Qualifications and Requirements
- Genuine interest in being of service to others
- Must be at least 14 years of age.
- Maintain a “C” average during the course of the school year
- Complete the application process and participate in a free health assessment and mandatory orientation/training sessions, as required.
- Permission from a parent or guardian to participate, if under 18 years of age.
- Volunteers must purchase their own uniform top through Volunteer Services.
How to Apply
- Submit a Youth Volunteer Application online.
- Review the list of volunteer assignments at Volunteer Opportunities.
- You will receive a phone call or email within 3-5 business days after you have submitted your application. If you do not hear from our office please call (785)354-6095 (Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm)
- Location: All interviews will be held in the Volunteers Office, North Patient Tower, basement level of Stormont Vail Hospital, 1500 S.W. 10th St. Follow signs from the hospital’s main entrance.
- Please allow half an hour to complete the interview process.
- Print the Teacher/Counselor Reference Form. Complete top portion of the form and give to reference. Upon completion by the teacher or counselor, they will fax the form to Volunteer Services. (Fax# (785)354-5812)
- Copy of recent grade report (can be last quarter report if current one is unavailable).
- If you are accepted into the volunteer program, your volunteer placement will be provided at the conclusion of the interview.
- Details about a Mandatory Orientation and Health Assessment regarding dates and locations will be given at the time of the interview.
- At the Health Assessment the applicant’s photo will be taken.
Preparing for Your First Day
After the mandatory orientation, you will be contacted by a Volunteer Services team member to set a date for your first day of volunteer service.
On your first day, report to Volunteer Services to receive your ID badge, sign final paperwork, and get introduced to your volunteer area.
Auxiliary Student Scholarships
About the Scholarships
The Stormont Vail Health Auxiliary Student Volunteer Scholarship program assists students interested in a health-related career. Two scholarship programs are available: the Maynard Oliverius Youth Leadership in Healthcare Scholarship for two recipients and the Student Volunteer scholarships for four recipients. Students may submit for one or both scholarships.
Deadline to submit an application is March 1.
Maynard Oliverius Youth Leadership in Healthcare Scholarship
The Maynard Oliverius Youth Leadership in Healthcare Scholarship was designed to assist students interested in careers in the medical field. This program is funded through the Stormont Vail Foundation by an endowment established by the Stormont Vail Health Auxiliary in recognition of the contributions made by Maynard Oliverius during his tenure as CEO of Stormont Vail Health. First priority will be given to students attending Fort Hays State University, or other Kansas school. The scholarship is awarded to two recipients in the amount of $2,500 each.
Stormont Vail Health Auxiliary Student Volunteer Scholarship (SVHASVS)
The Stormont Vail Health Auxiliary Student Volunteer Scholarship was designed to financially assist students interested in a health related career. Priority will be given to students attending a Kansas school. This scholarship is awarded to four recipients in the amount of $1,000 each.
- Any high school senior or college student who has been accepted at a two or four year college or university, a vocational or technical school (SVHASVS only) or a community college leading to certification, licensure, registration or other qualification to perform in a medical or allied health field. Proof of enrollment or acceptance is required
- Completion of a minimum of 50 hours of volunteer service at Stormont Vail Health.
- Cumulative grade point average must be 2.5 or above (high school and college).
- Willing to participate in an interview with Scholarship Committee, if requested.
Each application must include all of the following components:
- Completed Scholarship Application Form.
- Official high school or university transcript.
- Acceptance letter or proof of enrollment from school attending.
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, professor or a Stormont Vail Health supervisor in the area you volunteered.
- One-page essay indicating your desire to pursue a health care career and general strategy on how you plan to accomplish this goal.
Application forms are available at the link below, or by contacting Stormont Vail Health, Volunteer Services, (785) 354-6095, [email protected].
Return completed application, transcript, acceptance letter, essay, and letter of recommendation by March 1 to:
Renea Wilson, System Director
Stormont Vail Health Patient Experience
1500 SW 10th Ave., Topeka, KS 66604-1353