About: Mission & History
The Foundation was formed in 1984 to support Stormont Vail Health’s work to improve the health of our community. The Foundation raises funds through charity fundraisers, grants, donations, and planned giving.
In 2018, Stormont Vail became the Children’s Miracle Network hospital for northeast Kansas. Funds raised by our local partners help support numerous pediatric programs. To learn more about our CMN affiliation, partners and events visit our page on the Children’s Miracle Network website at stormontvail.childrensmiraclenetworkhospitals.org.
What is the Foundation?
The Stormont Vail Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting the mission, vision, and values of Stormont Vail Health.
Thanks to the generosity of our donors, the Foundation provides funds for:
- Emergency patient needs
- Nursing scholarships
- Continuing education grants
- Facility upgrades
- New equipment
Why Donate to the Stormont Vail Foundation?
The Stormont Vail Foundation invites you to make a difference in the health of our community by making a donation. Because the Foundation’s operations are underwritten by Stormont Vail Health, 100% of your gift is directed to the fund of your choice.
For more information about areas you can support, our current funding priorities and how your gift can make a difference in our community’s health care, contact the Stormont Vail Foundation at (785) 354-6851.
Make a gift https://www.stormontvail.org/give/donate/
Officers, Trustees & Staff
The Foundation’s work is made possible thanks to community leaders who serve as our officers and trustees, as well as the dedicated team members who keep the organization running.
- Miranda Carmona, Chairperson, Goodell, Stratton, Edmonds & Palmer, LLP
- Andy Thompkins, Ed.D., Vice Chairperson, Community Volunteer
- Anne Wilson, Secretary, Community Volunteer
- Pamela Johnson-Betts, Ex Officio, Topeka Public Schools Foundation
- Amy Burns, President, Stormont Vail Foundation
- Robert Kenagy, M.D., Vice President, CEO, Stormont Vail Health
- Ken Stone, Treasurer, Director, Corporate Finance, Stormont Vail Health
- Randy Austin, Fairlawn Plaza Mall
- Marcus Bassett, M.D., Community Volunteer
- Heather Birkbeck, Community Volunteer
- Tara Dimick, Envista
- Noel Etzel, JETZ Service Co.
- Joe Gigous, Community Volunteer
- Kent Glasscock, Kansas State University Institute for Commercialization
- Natalie Haag, Capitol Federal
- Amanda Kiefer, Federal Home Loan Bank of Topeka
- Jeff Martin, Evergy
- Kent Palmberg, MD, Community Volunteer
- Clint Patty, Clayton Wealth Partners
- Lyn Rantz, Ed.D., Topeka Collegiate School
- Daniel Richardson, DVM, Community Volunteer
- Michelle Schierling, MD, Stormont Vail Health
- Angela Sharp, Bartlett and West
- Rocky Taylor, Zack Taylor Contracting
- Mick Urban, Kansas Gas Service
- Daina Williams, L&J Building Maintenance
- Errol Williams, Community Volunteer
Stormont Vail Foundation Staff
- Amy Burns, Executive Director
- Sarah Basso, Children’s Miracle Network Program Manager
- Lori Franken, Foundation Specialist
- Tina Long, Development Officer
- Dawna Merten, Foundation Specialist
The Stormont Vail Foundation provides nursing scholarship support through the Kansas Board of Regents Nursing Service Scholarship program. This program is designed to encourage enrollment in nursing programs by Kansans committed to practicing as a LPN or RN in Kansas. Students will need to complete the State of Kansas Student Aid Application and the Stormont Vail Application.
Kent E. Palmberg, M.D., Medical Student Scholarship
The Kent E. Palmberg, M.D., Medical Student Scholarship was established on July 23, 2016, in honor and celebration of the 38 years of leadership provided by Kent Palmberg, M.D., as the chief medical officer at Stormont Vail Health and the 14th physician to join the Cotton O’Neil Medical Group. Dr. Palmberg was instrumental in negotiating the joining of the Cotton O’Neil Medical Group with Stormont Vail, and in recruiting more than 350 physicians to Stormont Vail to serve the needs of patients in the region.
The scholarship is funded by the Kent E. Palmberg, M.D., Medical Student Scholarship Endowment Fund. The annual scholarship award is $10,000. The annual application deadline is July 1. The winner is announced by Sept. 1 each year.
Robert “Dean” Smith Endowed Technical Training Scholarship
The Robert “Dean” Smith Endowed Technical Training Scholarship was established October 2016 in memory of Dean Smith, director of Design and Construction at Stormont Vail Health.
Dean was instrumental in the construction projects at Stormont Vail, including the Kanza Park Building which was under construction at the time of his death. Dean was a master plumber with a master mechanical license and held the technical trades in high esteem as important in the success of any project.
Areas to Support
BIG HEARTS Golf Tournament
The Stormont Vail Foundation’s signature fundraising event, the BIG HEARTS Golf Tournament raises funds for Stormont Vail Health programs and services. Since its inception in 2001, this annual event has raised more than $2.4 million thanks to the generous support of sponsors and friends of the tournament.
In 2019, more than $250,000 was raised towards the purchase of Stormont Vail’s first Cotton O’Neil Mobile Clinic. Rocky and Debbie Taylor were the event’s honorary co-chairs. The tournament’s presenting sponsors were the Hospital Assistance Program and Konica Minolta. Goodell Stratton Edmonds and Palmer and the Lockton Companies served as title sponsors.
The 2020 BIG HEARTS Golf Tournament will be held on Monday, Sept. 21 at the Topeka Country Club. Proceeds will go towards renovations at The Birthplace at Stormont Vail Hospital. The honorary chair of the 20th annual event is Mrs. Lou Probasco. For information about 2020 sponsorship opportunities contact Tina Long at 785-354-5995.
Leave a Legacy
A planned gift helps ensure the availability of quality, compassionate healthcare to Kansans for generations to come. Whether you want your donation to make a difference today or benefit Stormont Vail after your lifetime, you can create a plan that meets your financial and charitable goals.
For more information visit our Planned Giving page or contact us at 785-354-6851.