We Together: A Communication of Stormont Vail Health (August 31)
Dear Community Partners,
Here are today’s updates:
- Stormont Vail Nursing Showcased at Magnetizing KC
- Stormont Vail Team Members Present at UGM
- “To Your Health” on WIBW-TV Tonight: End of Summer Bash
- Stormont Vail Health Hosts Shape Shifting Symposium
Stormont Vail Nursing Showcased at Magnetizing KC
Stormont Vail Health’s nursing team showcased our system at the Aug. 29 Magnetizing KC Conference, which focuses on nursing excellence and the role of the professional nurses. Stormont Vail is a member of the Kansas City Magnet Consortium which brings area Magnet hospitals together to highlight the role of the clinical nurse.
There were 17 presenters and 45 attendees representing Stormont Vail at the event held at Children’s Mercy Research Institute in Kansas City.
Thank you to the following Stormont Vail presenters for sharing best practices with the nursing community:
SVH Podium presentations:
- Partners For Success: Improving the Relationship Between Preceptor and Preceptee to Foster Growth in Our Future Nurses
- Stephanie Sunders, MSN, RN and Monica Dammon, BSN, RN
- Identifying Potential Violent Patients Across the Health System
- Angie Mendez, MSN, RN, SCRN and Justin Barnes, BSN, RN
- Food Pantry
- Julie Johnson, BSN, RN, CDCES and Stephanie Robb, BSN, RN
SVH Poster Presentations:
- Restorative Circles for Nursing Retention and Satisfaction
- Ashley Seematter, MSN, RNC-OB and Kate Burns, MFS, BS
- Increasing Access and Availability for SANE Training
- Sarah Evans Simpson, MSN-FN, RN, TCRN, SANE-A, SANE-P
- Emergence Agitation in the Post Anesthesia Care Unit
- Thaina Dos Santos Jensen, BA, BSN, RN and Jenny James, BSN, RN, CPAN
- IOCS Utilization in Cesarean Section Deliveries
- Kim Dick, BSN, RN and Melinda Theis, MSN, RNC-OB
- Improving Orthopedic Add-On Case Requests
- Ashley Berroth, BSN, RN and Katie Martinek, MBA, BSN, RN
- Nurses Leading Capacity Management through Progression of Care Rounds
- Emily Padilla, MSN, RN and Richelle Rumford, MSN, RN, CEN
Stormont Vail Team Members Present at UGM
Angie Mendez and Chris Buesing recently attended EPIC’s User Group Meeting (UGM) and had the opportunity to share Stormont Vail Health’s violent patient flagging process that is being utilized within EPIC.
Angie and Chris presented SVH’s flagging process as part of a combined presentation titled “Prevention Initiatives for Violence-Free Workplace.” Angie and Chris’s part of the presentation focused on SVH’s use of the Violence/Aggression Assessment Checklist (VAAC) that then populates an FYI Flag in EPIC for creating awareness for staff related to patients who have shown a potential for violence in the past. As part of the presentation they also shared that since the implementation of this process in August 2021, workplace violence event reporting has increased at Stormont, but the severity of these events has decreased due to staff awareness.
“To Your Health” on WIBW-TV Tonight – End of Summer Bash
Nurses and nursing students who want to learn more about career opportunities at Stormont Vail Health can get the story from Paula Sanders, Director of Magnet and Clinical Excellence, on tonight’s WIBW “To Your Health.” The segment will air at 10 p.m. on WIBW-TV, Channel 13. The segment will typically repeat at 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. Fridays on 13 News This Morning and be posted on wibw.com.
Paula will share details about the upcoming End of Summer Bash, a fun recruitment event on Sept. 8 where nursing students and seasoned RNs from across the region can learn about all the great benefits Stormont Vail offers. Attendees can tour participating units and meet our professional recruiters and department managers. The event will take place in Pozez Education Center in the Topeka Campus Hospital from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 8.
Stormont Vail Health Hosts Shape Shifting Symposium
Please join us on from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 29 in the Pozez Auditorium as we host the Stormont Vail Health Shape Shifting Symposium. This event will educate team members and guests about the challenges and options that accompany obesity as well as the benefits that occur alongside healthy lifestyle changes.
Alongside the doctors and registered dietitians from Stormont Vail who will be presenting, we are excited to welcome guest speakers Maria Collazo-Clavell, M.D. from Mayo Clinic and Shadrach Smith, M.D. from Encompass Medical Group. This event will also be available via zoom webinar. Register for this event by visiting www.stormontvail.eeds.com (Registration closes Sept. 27.)
Have an enjoyable and safe Labor Day weekend. Thank you to all of our team members for your efforts, and a special thanks to those who will be caring for patients and communities over the holiday weekend. You are appreciated.