We Together: A Communication of Stormont Vail Health (June 28, 2022)
Dear Community Partners,
Here are today’s updates:
- Celebrating a WATCHMAN Milestone
- Current Status at Stormont Vail Health
Celebrating a WATCHMAN Milestone
Stormont Vail is proud to announce that our cardiology team has recently performed its 500th WATCHMAN procedure. The WATCHMAN Device is an implant designed to prevent blood clots from escaping the heart and entering the bloodstream. This reduces the risk of stroke from atrial fibrillation.
This lifesaving WATCHMAN device is roughly the size of a quarter and is placed at the opening of the small pouch attached to the left atrium of your heart called the left atrial appendage (LAA). Many patients are released from the hospital within 24 hours following the procedure.
Congratulations to all team members involved in helping reach 500 WATCHMAN procedures. This is a remarkable milestone and a testament to our cardiology team’s hard work and dedication to helping their patients.
Learn more about WATCHMAN under treatment options on our Structural Heart Care page and view information about various other services our cardiology team offers.
Current Status at Stormont Vail Health
- 5 inpatients are COVID-19 positive.
- 84% of recent COVID-19 admissions are unvaccinated or had last dose/booster more than 6 months ago.
- COVID-19 inpatient discharges (previous week): 19. Deaths: 1.
- 9 COVID-19 positive patients in the outpatient Enhanced Primary Care program.
- 24.0% of people tested for COVID-19 at Stormont Vail facilities the past seven days were positive. That is up from 18.7% last week.
- 37 team members and 2 providers on contact leave for COVID-19. The total of 39 people on contact leave this week compares to 31 last week.
- 105,163 vaccinations (included boosters) administered.
- To schedule a COVID-19 vaccine appointment:
- Use online scheduling assistant at stormontvail.org/covid19/vaccine
- Call (785) 270-4786.