We Together: A Communication of Stormont Vail Health (October 26)
Dear Community Partners,
Here are today’s updates:
- Stormont Vail Health Welcomes Kimberly Brey, M.D.
- “To Your Health” on WIBW-TV Tonight
- Maternal Fetal Medicine Moves Location Tomorrow
- Paw Squad’s First Annual Howl-o-ween Celebration, Oct. 31
- Special Weeks Celebrate Special Team Members
Stormont Vail Health Welcomes Kimberly Brey, M.D.
Stormont Vail Health welcomes Dr. Kimberly Brey, an OB/GYN physician specializing in reproductive and pregnancy care, to the Stormont Vail Women’s Services team. Dr. Brey provides comprehensive women’s health services at Stormont Vail OB/GYN-Lincoln Center, 800 S.W. Lincoln Street.
“I love my entire job! I can’t choose one part that I don’t like,” said Dr. Brey. “I like GYN because I love doing surgery; I enjoy getting to know OB patients during pregnancy. I also appreciate the basics, like contraception and well-woman care. I just like it when patients have a good experience.”
Dr. Brey was born and raised in Kansas City, Kan. After completing her undergraduate degree at the University of Kansas, she began her career in the healthcare field at an OB/GYN clinic. She worked in various office positions managing bookkeeping, medical records, billing, coding, and payables before an adverse experience with a clinic physician prompted her to return to medical school seven years later. “I thought to myself, ‘I can do better than that,’” said Dr. Brey. “I was working at an OB/GYN office, and the doctors talked me into going back to medical school. That, and knowing that I could do better than that physician, drove me back to medical school.”
Dr. Brey continued working in the clinic part-time through medical school. While unconventional, Dr. Brey appreciates her journey to physicianship for the diverse perspectives it provided. Her insights, focus on patient education, genuine listening skills, and easygoing personality allow her to relate and connect with her patients effectively.
Dr. Brey is a fellow of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. She completed her medical degree and residency at the University of Kansas School of Medicine. With her focus on connection, education, and empathy, Dr. Brey will greatly enhance patient experience following the recent partnership between Stormont Vail and Lincoln Center. Dr. Brey is accepting new patients. Call (785) 233-5101 to book an appointment.
“To Your Health” on WIBW-TV Tonight
Being prepared for the unexpected, such as fire preparedness, is important, as we’ll learn tonight on WIBW’s “To Your Health” from a Stormont Vail team member who shares her story about her home destroyed by fire. A member of our trauma team will also provide tips for being prepared for fires. The segment will air at 10 p.m. on WIBW-TV, Channel 13. The segment will typically repeat at 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. Fridays on 13 News This Morning and be posted on wibw.com.
Maternal Fetal Medicine Moves Location Tomorrow
Maternal Fetal Medicine in Topeka will be closed tomorrow, Oct. 27, as they move to a new location at 830 SW Lane, Suite A. They will begin welcoming patients at this new address on Monday, Oct. 30.
Paw Squad’s First Annual Howl-o-ween Celebration, Oct. 31
- When: Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2023
- Time: 12 – 1:30 p.m. and 6 – 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Topeka Campus Hospital Courtyard (noon event) & North Tower Entrance (evening event)
Are you ready to pawty? Join the Stormont Vail Health Paw Squad’s first annual Howl-o-ween Celebration on Tuesday, Oct. 31, at Stormont Vail’s Topeka hospital. Activities will take place in the afternoon and evening so team members from all shifts can get to know the amazing Paw Squad and learn more about this awesome team member resource. Vote for your favorite pup in the Howl-o-ween Costume Contest – The winner receives a fabulous prize. Two- and four-legged team members can enjoy tasty snacks from the Paw Squad. Activities will move to the hallway between the North Tower and Pavilion if the weather is cold and rainy.
Special Weeks Celebrate Special Team Members
- October 22-28 is National Respiratory Care Week. We celebrate our 70-plus Respiratory Therapists throughout the organization including the Topeka Campus and Flint Hills Campus. Our respiratory therapists provide patient care in all areas including Emergency Department, Critical Care, Medical/Surgical, Pulmonary Lab, and Learning and Talent Development. We appreciate all the contributions to the excellent care provided by our respiratory therapists.
- October 22-28 is Sleep Technologist Appreciation Week. Sleep technologists are specially trained and credentialed to conduct and score sleep studies. Good sleep is vital to the health and well-being of our patients and we are thankful for our sleep technologists!