We Together: A Communication of Stormont Vail Health (Aug 30, 2022)
Dear Community Partners,
Here are today’s updates:
- Hard Work Pays Off for Clinical Research Team
- Walk With a Doc – This Saturday in Manhattan
- Current Status at Stormont Vail Health
Hard Work Pays Off for Clinical Research Team
We are proud to announce that our Clinical Research team at Digestive Health recently contributed to the FDA approval of Risankizumab. This team participated in Phase 3 trials involving the compound. Risankizumab, also identified as the already FDA approved trade name Skyrizi, applied in the treatment of plaque psoriasis, is an IL-23 blocker. It has been successful in providing efficacy and safety in the treatment of Crohn’s disease in recent Phase 3 trials.
In the trial facilitated by the Clinical Research team at Digestive Health, patients have had a positive experience with treatment that proved to be very effective, with a good safety profile.
“We are excited to participate and offer a contribution to the work required to get this drug to the market while successfully treating these patients in need,” says Dr. Curtis Baum, gastroenterologist and primary investigator for this clinic trial. “This approval enables us as providers to utilize Risankizumab as a primary option when considering those patients with moderate to severe Crohn’s disease. Additionally, it expands the possibilities of treatment for those who have failed other biologics and are still in need of effective therapy for their disease.”
Congratulations to everyone involved in the clinic trial. Your hard work and dedication has helped provide a new option in the somewhat limited field of treatment for moderate to severe Crohn’s disease.
Learn more about this amazing success:
Walk With a Doc – This Saturday in Manhattan
Mark your calendars for Saturday, Sept. 3 as we participate in a Walk With a Doc event in Manhattan. While Stonecreek Family Physicians is hosting the event, we want to show great comradery to the surrounding community by partnering with them on this opportunity. Rashmi Thapa, M.D., Cotton O’Neil Cardiology in Manhattan, will be at the walk to represent Stormont Vail Health. We are excited to come out and show Manhattan that we are in town and ready to meet them. Come walk and talk with us.
Current Status at Stormont Vail Health
The weekly COVID-19 scorecard is posted on the Stormont Vail website. Here are highlights are from the scorecard:
- 13 inpatients are COVID-19 positive. That’s the same number as last week.
- 93% of recent COVID-19 admissions are unvaccinated or had last dose/booster more than 6 months ago.
- COVID-19 inpatient discharges (previous week): 24. Deaths: 1.
- 4 COVID-19 positive patients in the outpatient Enhanced Primary Care program.
- 18.2% of people tested for COVID-19 at Stormont Vail facilities the past seven days were positive. That compares to 19.9% last week.
- 44 team members and 2 providers on contact leave for COVID-19. The total of 46 people on contact leave this week is down from 58 last week.
- 106,372 vaccinations (included boosters) administered.
- To schedule a COVID-19 vaccine appointment:
- Use online scheduling assistant at stormontvail.org/covid19/vaccine
- Call (785) 270-4786.