COVID-19 Update (08.05.2021)
Dear Community Partners,
Today we have 31 inpatients who are suffering from COVID-19 infections. Of those, 17 are in intensive care or intermediate care, and the others are being cared for in regular medical patient rooms. The past couple of days more of our COVID-19 patients have needed a higher level of care.
Intensive care level is needed when a patient is critically ill and requires a high level of medical support. Intensive care or critical care patient rooms are equipped with additional resources and monitoring and our staffing levels are higher per patient because of the patient’s extra needs.
We have 32 adult critical care rooms, but are able to flex that up when needed. The next level is intermediate care. We have expanded our intermediate care unit (IMC) from six beds to 21 beds over the past two years as we care for more patients with higher care requirements.
The delta variant of the original COVID-19 is much more contagious and can cause serious illness in people, especially those who are unvaccinated. The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has stated that the majority of spread through the state is through the delta variant.
Of our current COVID-19 inpatients, 87% are unvaccinated.
There is good evidence that the vaccines are safe and effective against the delta variant, according to the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control. The CDC further states that data demonstrates the vaccines can prevent severe illness, hospitalization and death. Getting vaccinated is the best way to protect you and your family.
Here are today’s updates:
- Dr. Kenagy on “To Your Health” – WIBW-TV Tonight
- COVID-19 Scorecard
Dr. Kenagy on “To Your Health” – WIBW-TV Tonight
Dr. Robert Kenagy, President and CEO, Stormont Vail Health, will talk about the recent COVID-19 surge and the importance of the vaccine in combatting more virus spread on tonight’s “To Your Health” segment on WIBW-TV, Channel 13. The 10 p.m. Thursday segment will typically repeat at 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. Fridays on 13 News This Morning and be posted on wibw.com.
Here’s a look at today’s COVID-19 scorecard:
- We have 31 inpatients who are COVID-19 positive today. Of those, 4 are vaccinated and 27 are not vaccinated. Vaccinated is defined as fully vaccinated individuals for greater than 14 days since the last immunization.
- COVID-19 inpatient discharges from the previous day: 5. No deaths.
- We have 74 COVID-19 positive patients in the outpatient Enhanced Primary Care program.
- The overall percentage of symptomatic patients testing positive for COVID-19 at Stormont Vail facilities the past seven days is 16.8% (this includes vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals). Eighty percent of positive tests from the past seven days are from unvaccinated individuals.
- We have administered 86,978 vaccinations. This includes first and second doses of the vaccine.
- All Kansans age 12 and older are eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccine.
- COVID-19 vaccines are available through the Stormont Vail Retail Pharmacy, 2252 S.W. 10th Ave.
- To schedule a COVID-19 vaccine appointment:
- Go through your Stormont Vail MyChart
- Use the online scheduling assistant at www.stormontvail.org/covid19/vaccine
- Call (785) 270-4786.
- Walk-ins are welcome from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Appointments take approximately 30 minutes, including a 15-minute required observation.
Robert Kenagy, MD